Friday, March 25, 2011

Question about the 1960 and 1961 Old Timer's Day Game - Help!

Hello,  I received the following question from a fan, named Sue.  She asked the following:

"Brad,


Do you know when the date of 1960 Yankees Old timers game and if George McQuinn was a part of that game, as an old timer? Also do you know if there was an Yankees old timers game in 1961? If so, the date and if Joe DiMaggio was there, as well as George McQuinn?

My family & I were at one of those games and my brother was able to get some autographs. However, there us no date on them.

Thank You.

Sue"

Below was my response......

"Hi Sue,


As you already may know, George McQuinn played for the Yankees in 1947 and 1948. Played 144 games in 47 and 94 in 1948. Most of his career was spent with the St. Louis Browns, from 38-45. He was an All-Star in 47 and 48 with the Yankees and finished 6th in the voting for the MVP, won by Joe DiMaggio that year, with another Yankee, Joe Page, finishing 4th in the voting. Amazingly the Yankees had many players in the top 20 for MVP voting that year...also included were Tommy Henrich, Spec Shea, Yogi Berra, Allie Reynolds, and Billy Johnson.

The game in 1960 was played on Saturday, August 13, 1960 and featured "The 1939 American and National League All Star Teams".

The game in 1961 was played on Saturday, July 29, 1961 and honored "All-Time Stars of the New York Yankees, Giants, and Brooklyn Dodgers." This was the 15th annual Old Timer's Game. This was the first time that the Yankees honored the all-time New York area ballplayers.

There has been an Old Timer's Game was played each and every year since 1947.

I would make sense that he was invited to the 1960 and 1961 games, as well as DiMaggio.

I wish I had more information on all the games, but there is so little on them.

The page I have dedicated to it is here: http://www.ultimateyankees.com/oldtimersday.htm

Sorry I could not be of more help. I will ask a friend of mine Paul if he knows anything more. He may have a program or yearbook that would show a list of invitees. If so, I will pass it on.

All the best,
Brad"
-----------------------------------
Any help on whether George McQuinn or Joe DiMaggio were there would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone has those programs and can confirm, please contact me ASAP and we'll get the information to Sue.

Thanks for your help,

Brad

1 comment:

  1. I have a program from the '61 old timers game of 7-29-61. On the back side are stamped autographs of the participants. Did not see George McQuinns signature. Doesn't mean he didn't play though.

    ReplyDelete