By Dr. Harvey Frommer
With spring training just around the corner, with so many of you writing that you were eagerly awaiting Yankee Quiz 5, without further ado –your wish is my pleasure.
And look our for my newest - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781630761554/Remembering-Yankee-Stadium-Second-Edition
57. Who was the highest paid Yankee in 1973?
A. Matty Alou Bobby Murcer C. Mel Stottlemyre D. Sparky Lyle
58. Which pitcher became the highest-paid player in history when he signed a $3.5 million contract for the Yankees in 1975?
59. What Yankee was nick-named “Bulldog”? A. Jim Bouton B. Monte Pearson C. Joe Page D. Ron Guidry
60. The tradition of honoring legends at Yankee Stadium started on Memorial Day of 1932. Who was the first monument for?
A. Babe Ruth B. Miller Huggins C. Lou Gehrig D. Jake Ruppert
61. How many games did Babe Ruth win as pitcher for the Yankees?
A. None B. ten C. five D. 7
62. This Yankees outfielder won the 1962 AL Rookie of the Year Award, when he batted .286 with 20 home runs and 93 RBI. Who is he?
63. For seven consecutive years a New York Mayor threw out the first pitch for the home opener of the Yankees. Who was he?
A. John Lindsay B. Abe Beame C. Fiorello LaGuadia D. Rudy Guiliani
64. What number did Earl Combs wear and why?
A. 1 B. 17 C. 22 D. None of these
65. What year did the Yankees begin playing Frank Sinatra’s “New York, New York” at the Stadium?
A. 1977 B.1978 C. 1979 D. 1980
66. Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Bernie Williams each spent more than a decade playing centerfield for the Yankees. Who spent the most time?
A. DiMaggio B. Mantle C. Williams D Another player
67. What year did the first All Star Game take place at Yankee Stadium?
A. 1930 B. 1935 C. 1939 D. 1947
68. Who was the first black player on the Yankees?
A. Vic Power B. Elston Howard C. Satchel Paige D. Larry Doby
69. Who said: I may not have been the greatest Yankee to put on the uniform, but I am the proudest.
A. Lou Gehrig B. Joe Torre C. Dave Winfield D. Billy Martin
70. Who wrote “New York, New York” the song sung by Frank Sinatra at the Stadium?
A. Billy Joel B. Kander and Ebb C. George Gershwin D. None of these
57. B. Bobby Murcer made $100,000. Alou and Lyle made $70,000. Stottlemyre earned $78,000
58. Jim "Catfish" Hunter
59 A. Jim Bouton because of his overbearing nature
60. B. Miller Huggins
61. C. five and two were complete games.
62. Tom Tresh
63. C. Fiorello LaGuadia (1939-45)
64. A. 1 because he batted first in a Yankee lineup that began the practice of wearing numbers.
65. D. 1980
66. B. Mantle, 15 years
67. C. 1939, to coincide with the World’s Fair that year
68. April 14, 1955, the second game of the year, Elston Howard debuted.
69. D. Billy Martin
70. B. Kander and Ebb